10 May 2023

What is ok to share?

  Feeling a bit chuffed because I have finally come up with a new book idea. I’m still working on the biography of my great, great uncle Sir William George McBeath, but the going gets tough sometimes, and a little light relief is required – hence the new book.

My first cousin, three times removed died in the Kew Insane Asylum at the age of forty-seven.  He had been a “patient” there for seventeen years. His insanity? Epilepsy. Very sad to learn that this condition was considered a mental illness, and the only treatment was isolation in an asylum. His records are all digitised and make an enlightening read.

I feel strongly about telling his story, but by the same token protecting him as a person is paramount. In as much as his story needs telling, I decided to make it fiction, based on the facts I have gleaned from his records. So the character’s names are fictitious, as are the places. 

It’s a dual timeline story, with a present day archivist going through the files and learning about his situation.

Now the fun part. I NEED HELP. He was in the Kew Insane Asylum, but I’m not calling it by its real name in the book. Can you suggest names? If I choose one of those submitted, the person will receive a free copy when it’s published, and an acknowledgement in the foreword.

I came up with Dark Point Insane Asylum, or Green Tree Hills Insane Asylum, neither of which are inspiring. Over to you…..


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is ok to share?

  Feeling a bit chuffed because I have finally come up with a new book idea. I’m still working on the biography of my great, great uncle Sir...