14 November 2019

Thoughtful Thursday

This is an excerpt from a story in the Age on 14 February 1950, about my great grandparents Golden Wedding Anniversary. This photo accompanied the story.


Golden Wedding Anniversary
Trust— Formula for Married Bliss

"We got married on 25/- a week, but don't call it 'the good old days.' They were 'bad' old when we were married."
Such was the chorused reply from Mr. and Mrs. Richard Proctor, yesterday, In answer to the question: "Is it harder for young people starting married life today than In your day ?"
And Mr. and Mrs. Proctor should know, for today they are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary.
“But," said Mrs. Proctor, "we’ve had plenty of arguments and little cross words, and all this stuff about 'never an argument in 50 years' is nonsense."
"There is a way, though, to a long and happy married life" said Mr. Proctor, "and it's mutual trust and no secrets. I've never had any secrets from my wife. Honey, here, has always managed the house, and she still does; I've never interfered.”…
Mrs. Proctor has known her husband, who is nine years her senior, for 58 years. Mr. Proctor was born in Collingwood, and Mrs. Proctor (Jean Mary Allan), a cousin of a former State Premier, the late John Allan, was born in Fitzroy.
Mr. Proctor was a builder for most of his working life, which ended 10 years ago. He built the house in which they have lived for the past 34 years, and in his young days helped build the late Dame Nellie Melba's famous house, Coombe Cottage, at Coldstream.
Mr. and Mrs. Proctor have four children and eight grandchildren. "No wonder we're so
happy." said Mrs. Proctor. "With our children and grandchildren around us we have no worries.”
They are both teetotallers, but Mr. Proctor is a prodigious pipe smoker. "Must have smoked a ton or two in my time," said Mr. Proctor, "but I never could take cigarettes. Why, when I was away with the A.I.F. in the first war I used to give my ration away."
"See you in 20 years," called this happy man as he and his equally happy wife waved good-bye from the sunny verandah of their Surrey Hills home.
"Don't be silly, dear," said his wife.
"Aw  you never know, honey, we may. be around," he answered.
And, if happiness keeps the old young, then maybe they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is ok to share?

  Feeling a bit chuffed because I have finally come up with a new book idea. I’m still working on the biography of my great, great uncle Sir...